Monday, April 13, 2015

Welcome to the family, Prudhoe!

Well, we did it. We officially added a fifth dog to our family. Yes, you read correctly - five. This gives us a full, four-dog team for rig and sled races.
In the car on the way home. 

Prudhoe (formally, Apollo) is an Alaskan Malamute. He is approximately two years old. He is currently about the height of Denali and the weight of Ruger. We found him via PetFinder and he was with Pet Angels Rescue out of Edmond, OK (near Oklahoma City). 

Here is his story straight from the Pet Angels adoption page: 

"Hi! I'm Apollo. I was rescued from the Oklahoma City Pound at the end of September, my previous people got me from the Tulsa pound (Stray), just a few months beforehand but they said the other dog in the household didn't like me and well I was put in doggy jail again and almost lost my life, I mean it was really close they called Pet Angels and Pet Angels said they would pull me but someone forgot to note it in the computer and well I made it on that cold stainless steel table to be put down but Thankfully the Animal Welfare worker looked closer into the notes and seen that there had been the call made and called to double check just moments before the needle was to go into my arm! I am so Thankful for that animal Control Office Because Pet Angels had arrange to pick me up that following day and well I would have been dead since the note was not saved :-( . After that phone call of my near death encounter Pet Angels contacted a volunteer and had me transferred a day early to prevent any other fatal mistakes in my outcome."

Adoption day photo taken by Pet Angels Rescue
Prudhoe is doing quite well. He seems to be house trained, and he knows his basic commands such as sit, stay, and lay. He still has a bit of puppy in him as he gets very excited and he does like to jump. Although, since we brought him home on Saturday, the jumping has become very minimal which is great.  He is getting along well with all our dogs and is proving to be a great playmate/wrestle buddy for Ruger and Denali.

We took him for a short run on Sunday morning (just under a mile) and he did very well. He is a hard worker, and he wants to run. He is also picking up the commands quickly. He does have a bit of weight to lose, but overall he is doing very well.

We are excited to work with him and to have him as part of our family! 

 
Prudhoe's first run! He did great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment